Transportation Department Overview
The Newton Community School District covers 195 square miles, which includes the communities of Kellogg, Lambs Grove, and Newton.
Our school buses travel over 400,000 miles annually, transporting 1500 students to and from school each day. We have 30 yellow buses and 16 support vehicles.
Our staff consists of a transportation supervisor, a secretary, two mechanics, 22 regular bus drivers and 6 substitute drivers.
We have 19 morning and afternoon routes, and 3 special needs routes.
We're committed to...
- Providing safe and dependable transportation for our students to and from school and to off-campus school activities.
- Keeping our equipment in sound working order.
Busing Information 2023 - 2024
- The pick-up time is the time the bus will leave from that stop in order to maintain the correct schedule for the rest of the route. Please make sure that your child is at the stop at least 5 minutes before that pick-up time.
- If a student was eligible for busing they were assigned to a bus automatically. If your child doesn’t need busing please give us a call at (641) 792-4493 and we can easily inactivate them.
- Some buses will be picking up/dropping off more then one time at the same stop. Example: a BMS student may be picked up by the same bus at the same stop but at a slightly earlier time then a sibling going to the high school. This is due to the volume of students that can safely be seated on the bus at any one time.
- As a reminder there is no longer a transfer point at the high school. When a student boards the bus that bus will take them to the school they will be attending.
- Not all buses will be going to all schools. It is very important that the student board and ride the bus they are assigned to ride.
- Bus passes will not be allowed.
- In years past, the drivers would be contacting the parents/guardians of students over the summer before school starts to confirm that the student will need transportation and to deliver the busing rules and regulations. This information will now be sent through campus email along with instructions on how to access the information, which is how we did this in the 2021 - 2022 school year.